Monday, June 8, 2009

Will there be corn?


My corn now stands about 5 feet tall and the tassel at the top has begun to open up fully. The sticky silk dangles from the emerging ears below. It seems to be doing what it should be doing. Yet, I worry. Will the corn actually pollinate on its own? I heard from so many people last year whose corn never seemed to pollinate. They planted enough of it, in rows a distance from each other. It was growing well and everything seemed fine. Yet at the end of the season, they produced only corn stalks. So last night I did some online research to see if there was anything I could do to help this wind pollinated crop along. And sure enough, man has not only found a way to meddle with Mother Nature, but he's video taped it. If you are concerned about your corn or if you are just curious about the process, the following video shows exactly how do pollinate-it-yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment